Here is our guide to creating your own velvety foamed milk. Enjoy!
Cold milk, Jug, Machine with steam wand
- Pour cold milk about half way up your milk jug.
- Purge your steam wand by turning it on and off to clear it out.
- Aerate your milk for 5-10 seconds by putting the steam wand just under the surface (so that some air can get into the milk). If the milk is bubbling then your steam wand is getting too much air so lower the wand a little. If your steam wand is making a screeching sound then there is not enough air getting in.
- After 5-10 seconds of aeration, move the wand to the side of the jug and lower it slightly letting it develop a whirlpool (tilt the jug if that helps).
- Once the jug is too hot to hold (65˚C), turn off the steam, and move your jug away from the steam wand.
- Wipe the steam wand clean and purge.
- The milk should look smooth and velvety.
- If it is too ‘bubbly’ try to fix it by tapping the jug on the bench or by carefully removing the bubbles off the top with a spoon.
- Blend the milk by swirling the jug, then pour.